Before the thesis
IRMAR brings together researchers in mathematics and statistics from Rennes. Doctoral training is an integral part of IRMAR's mission. We are part of the MathSTIC doctoral school.
If you would like to do a doctorate in mathematics or statistics in the Rennes region, the first step is to find an advisor and a thesis subject. On this page you will find a list of proposals by IRMAR members. You can also contact the members of the laboratory directly. In any case, your future advisor will help you apply for funding. Contact must take place before the end of the calendar year in order to start a thesis at the beginning of the following school year.
The next step is to ask the MathSTIC doctoral school for permission to enroll in the doctoral program (see this page). Permission will be granted if scientific, material and financial conditions are such so as to ensure the completion of the thesis.
During the thesis
The doctoral degree is validated by a university degree. In addition to the research work leading to the publication of results in specialized journals and the writing of the thesis, numerous other activities complete the training of the thesis student.
- As a general rule, doctoral students must take at least 72 hours of complementary training, including 36 hours of scientific training and 36 hours of general and vocational training.
- Each year, several doctoral courses are offered to introduce doctoral students to various fields of research.
- In addition to the weekly seminars of their research groups, doctoral students are invited to attend graduate seminars.
- Depending on the needs of the department and the type of doctoral contract, doctoral students may have the possibility of assuming a teaching load.
The thesis defense requires administrative procedures which candidates are solely responsible for completing. These procedures can be length and must be started early enough to ensure completion. The following steps are involved:
- Contact the Commission "réseau Ouest Mathématiques". This committee meets four times a year and its approval is essential to the process.
- A preliminary version of the thesis and a list of potential referees must be submitted to the thesis committee of the MathSTIC doctoral school. Details on this page.
- Comply to the administrative procedure of your institution (see contacts and links below).
- Organize the defense. The IRMAR laboratory contributes to the costs. Contact the administration.
Contacts and information by institution:
- Université de Rennes 1: aurore [dot] gouininsa-rennes [dot] fr (Contact) – information
- Université de Rennes 2: suzanne [dot] pieluniv-rennes2 [dot] fr (Contact) – information
- ENS Rennes: elodie [dot] lequocens-rennes [dot] fr (Contact) – information
- INSA: aurore [dot] gouininsa-rennes [dot] fr (Contact) – information
- Institut Agro Rennes-Angers: coordoctagrocampus-ouest [dot] fr (Contact) – information